Monday, October 13, 2014

WONDERful week for the missionaries October 13, 2014

From Arkansas:
Finding is just finding. Nothing comes of it, but it's what we got to do. We talk to everyone and none are interested. Just planting the seeds. K is fine. He hasn't texted us back yet. Don't really know what is going on. You can pray for G. She is 59 years old and has ALS, or in other terms, Lou Gherig's disease (don't know how to spell it). She has had it for 12 years. She can't use her arms at all and the muscles in her face are shutting down, so she struggles talking, too. She can still walk. Her husband left her because she was "too much" and her kids are getting paid to help her, because they don't want a mom like that. It's really sad. We go and read the Book of Mormon with her for an hour or so. We are teaching her through the Book of Mormon. Every time we have to leave, she tells us to pray fast and go so she can keep reading. How sweet is that? She's pretty awesome. Funny story: We were with the Smiths and we were driving home from the church from General Conference. Elder Smith wasn't feeling very good and I wasn't super paying attention, but he changed lanes and I thought we were going to die. My life flashed before my eyes and I was like: "Aww, well I be darned. I better get on that repentance train quick, or else people will have to do all my temple work for me again." Which I know they won't, but it was definitely a wake up call for me.

We watched "Meet the Mormons". Have you seen it yet? It's pretty good. The beginning is funny. I liked the missionary mom. What got me was when she was telling her story "Just hold on. You're almost there. Just hold on". You'll understand when you see it. Bring tissues. You will probably cry.  Saturday, we read with G, and she's loving it. When we read with her last, we left her on 1 Nephi 4. When we got there, she was on 1 Nephi 11. Sweet, right? She is loving it a lot. She said there are pretty amazing stories in it and that she felt good when she read it. :) 

I've been studying in the bible about Samuel, King Saul, and David. I finished 1 Samuel today. It is so crazy how King Saul tried to kill David so many times, even after David said he wouldn't kill Saul. I also loved how Jonathan comforted David all the time. He kept him safe and loved him like a brother. He supported him. In the last two chapters of 1 Samuel, some crazy stuff happens. Saul and his three sons are killed and stuff, and David kills a whole nation in day, but I did find a verse interesting. In 1 Samuel 30:6, all the people are mourning because the city was taken captive. Even Davids two wives were taken. But the people wanted to kill David because he was being hopeful. He was being hopeful in the Lord because he knew the Lord would help him. I just thought it was crazy how quick people want to tear others down. That's what I learned this week. That's all I got. I love you so much and can't wait for next week! :)

From Florida:
Thanks for the email! The work is going along great. We picked up a few new people this week, we started working with D, T, and T. D has been taught by missionaries in New York for two years and never even went to church, we met her at a McDonald's and we taught her our purpose, we said that we want to be her friends and help her, but that we are only a part of the church and that the church and gospel offers many more blessings that the church does not provide. She got it and I feel good about teaching her, she understands now that our purpose is not to be "best buds" but to help her be baptized. T is a single mother that we ran into, her son is friends with a lot of the young women in our Ward and they sent us to see him, but we met his mom. Apparently missionaries that go to McDonalds a lot have been talking to her about the church for months and she has never taken any discussions. She welcomed us right in and we started teaching her. McDonald's is famous for the Golden Arches, but I guess now it will be for golden investigators! T is a referral from members in another Ward, she works at Denny's and some members had her for a waitress and they had a good experience with her
and invited her to meet with us. She was very excited to meet with us when we came over, we are going to see her again this afternoon. She works Sunday's which could end up being a problem, but she is awesome!
    Elder P and I are still getting along great and I love the area. I absolutely love the area and Elder P, we are getting along great and are seeing success. We do our best to follow impressions and are seeing miracles.
     I read a talk this morning that I think will help you with your problem! It is by President Monson in the October 2012 conference called "Consider the Blessings". Get out of your comfort zone too, outside of your comfort zone is the miracle zone!
    I read a conference talk everyday as well as my scriptures, I also read a really good message about Gods timing that helped me with the concerns I have about the future. It's by Elder Dallin H Oaks called
"Timing". It's in the October 2003 Liahona.

From Georgia:
No we did not eat the snake we looked for it but we could not find it.
Something I have noticed about my dyslexia is that if I am reading the scriptures it really isn't as hard to read. I see that as a true blessing. But if I read something that is not the scriptures it is much much harder than you would think. I had to read in Elders quorum and I couldn't really get a single word right. I tried for a couple of seconds and kept getting corrected so I just said, "pass" and didn't talk the rest of the meeting. 

I actually do have some people you could pray for. 
1. F. He is a cop down here and as we were contacting he saw us and called us over. "O thank goodness your here I have been praying for y'all to come, What one of you has a sandwich for me?" He is such a funny guy. As we got talking he actually did know that it was not just an accident that we met him and that he would really like to talk with us again. We gave him a Book of Mormon and he said he would like to call us this week.
2. T and her family. We walked into her that same night as F. She is a 17 year old and she let us in to talk. We told her about the Book of Mormon and she said she would read it. We also told her about the anti's and that there is a lot out there. She asked us what she will hear from all the anti's and we told her that a lot of people say we have many wives. She then looked over at her dad who wasn't part of the lesson and asked if that was true. He said yes that people believe that about "US". I paused for a second because he said US. He is actually a member of the church. He hasn't been back for many many years and he never asked for his records to be moved. WOW
3. L and N. We ran into them the next night. We had a very good lesson with them and they said that they know that something has been missing from their life and this may be it. 

I had an amazing experience with giving C a blessing. He is a less active member. He has had a lot of health problems and a bunch of depression and guilt. So he asked me if I would give him a blessing. I have never felt the spirit so strong in my life. My whole body felt like it was on fire and I felt like lava was being pored through my veins. It didn't hurt though it felt amazing. WOW. I want to have that feeling again so badly. Maybe I will have that spiritual witness again some day.



No comments:

Post a Comment